Monday, April 26, 2010

Do it myself...

I am so excited! I have been sitting around depressed about my kitchen. Suddenly, a plan emerges, decisions are being made, I'm ok with working with what I've got, and I am looking forward to the challenge of building green, and happy that these decisions are all realistic and within a reasonable budget. Basically, I can't remove the doors to the cabinets to paint them because they were apparently installed with some sort of square shaped rivets - (curse cheap mobile home construction). And of course they are the really cheap particle board with ugly veneer. You can't really sand them. I'm going to clean them really well, plaster any holes, and then paint them right there on the cabinet, with the thick white primer paint. Just the fronts. I need 27 new door handles for the cabinets. The hinges will remain only on the lovely dark fake veneer wood and they are an antique bronze color. So I've convinced myself that I can have stainless steel pulls trying to bring in some sort of modern feel. I'll break out my little lumber stash and finally put my skills to the test building some shelves, under the sink cabinet and in the big hole under the counter. I won't be a carpentry virgin anymore!! I found some really nice lined baskets to go in the under-cabinet storage. There is no finished bottom to the over the sink cabinet so I will try to cut a small piece of plywood to glue up in there and then install some under-cabinet lighting that will shine down on the corner shelves right by the sink. Uber-cool. I believe the color for the cabinet doors is "blonde." It may look too "country" unless I'm careful to go real easy on yellow tones. After reading all this, it sounds simply ludicrous. Hopefully I will change my mind before this begins to take shape... Well, unless I come up with a better plan, it's the only plan I have. I'm dealing with super cheap cabinetry, that's old and worn out. I'm building things for the first time. Should be interesting. The main problem I'm having is introducing the stainless, thinking my attempt at modern will look horribly out of place. OMG.

No comments:

Post a Comment