Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Peace on Earth

Today was a special day to trust in Peace. Today was a good day to trust in good people. Again, I turned to the special voice of Deepak Chopra to inspire me, teach me, help me. When I was young and confused, his work and his words found me. His words weren't just black and white, but many colors. He showed me that I alone could change my world, and how I could do it with intention, hard work, and love. And he taught me that I didn't have to become a victim. I could transform my body and my mind, and nourish my soul with patience, compassion and a sweet calm mindset of detachment. Instead of a life full of fear, he taught me to embrace the impermanence of life.

With all this said, nothing disturbs me more than needless suffering. Teachings say that suffering is inherent in all aspects of life. Suffering, usually brought about by a perceived loss. Perhaps if we could examine our losses with different eyes, we could transform the loss into gratitude. When I lost my mother, I began to realize what a huge heart she had, and what great love she offered to so many. In that loss, I grew up. It took some time, and some hard lessons learned, but now I can tap into that love and understanding even if she's gone. It fortifies me and makes me strong. Sure, I still feel horribly sad from missing her, but that sadness doesn't shadow my life. I believe I've turned that sadness into wisdom.

So my wisdom for Peace Day is simple. Make your life meaningful. Make changes in your life so that your days are filled with promise and achievement. Focus on the little things you can do to bring peace into your life. Spread the love around. Just know that things are hard for everybody. Whoever you are, wherever you live, don't let animals suffer. Don't be the man that stands back when he sees something wrong, instead, work for change. Support local farmers, however small they are. Make yourself more open and aware. Educate yourself.

There may be more days ahead, where men take arms against each other, over religion, land, power, whatever causes prejudice, intolerance, and greed. But take heart, for many seeds have been planted. Many hearts have been touched. Surely every human being on Earth must seek peace on some level. If you are a man or a woman reading this, wherever you live, whatever you believe, I sincerely wish you peace. And if your life and your own personal world seems full of strife, burdens, sometimes too overwhelming to make sense of, take some lessons from some of our greatest minds. Seek the truth. Seek forgiveness and forgive. Find your inner voice and let it sing. Sing for yourself and for all the world. Sing for peace. You will be heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment