Monday, August 9, 2010

Agoraphobia - what does it amount to?

Yesterday, Jim took me on my monthly pilgrimage to the grocery store. I'm one of those who hates to buy groceries, but armed with a list and a mission, I made a good go of it. Don't get me wrong, I'm a pretty good cook, getting better all the time. It's the dealing with people that can become so tedious. The stores are so big these days, I have to communicate with Jim by cell phone in the store to find him. We met up and things were going well as we were about to check out, when I remembered one last thing. Jim said go on because there was a line ahead of us with lots of things to process.

Well I swear I wasn't gone but a couple of minutes and by the time I returned the whole "check-out" vibe had changed, and the cashier kept saying "just let it go..." It seemed that this cashier ushered Jim over to her line and it so happened we both had carts so at some point this small older woman got very vocal over Jim and his "two" carts. And Jim being about as mean as an old junkyard dog, didn't back down a bit and sent a whole bevy of unhappy tribe's women over to the next checkout.

Now I ask you again. How can perfectly quiet sane individuals seem to attract such abstract and unfathomable behaviours, just trying to buy groceries? I'm scared to get out lately. I'm not as strong as I used to be, and there are untold strange minds running loose all over. I just push my hat down a little snugger on my head, and pull my jeans back up on my butt, and I look over at my little dog Sadie Mae, and we wonder how in the world we found each other and we snicker.

I'm nobody's hero, but I've survived. I've had a whole auditorium of good people clap for my beautiful performance on the french horn. I've had a neighbor lady with four children tell me she admired me, of all things... (I have no kids and can't even imagine the responsibility) and I've great romances, and a few great achievements. I've socialized with the black dress and pearls crowd, and I feel comfortable with ranchers and cowboys. But I have as many family members and heros that have passed on these days than are still alive. My concerns are practical in nature.

So in this lifetime I won't make billions of dollars and build an enormous climate controlled self-sufficient eco-dome, although I probably would if I could. In this lifetime, I probably won't be travelling into space for fun or business. I don't want to fight with anybody over anything and I really don't want to hear about such matters. My stars are quiet tonite. My breeze smells clean and cool. The trees are whispering quietly, and bugs sing there songs. I'm a real native woman of the Earth. So call me agoraphobic. I've been called worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment